State Programs

  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF): For custodial parents of children under age 18. Usually single parent household although cohesive family units may apply if minimal to no income and one parent either incapacitated or unemployed and receiving or eligible to receive, Unemployment Compensation Benefits. This is a cash grant program.
  • Emergency Assistance Program (EAP): If a client is deemed "potentially eligible" to receive TANF upon application, that person is also eligible to apply for EAP.
  • Aid to the Permanently and Totally Disabled (APTD): This is a State subsidy which sometimes supplements income from either SSDI or SSI (federal disability programs). Individuals in this program generally do not qualify for city assistance unless it is medically related.
  • Medicaid (MA): This is a medical insurance program. There are several different categories under which a person/household can receive Medicaid benefits.
  • Aid to Needy Blind and Old Age Assistance (ANB/OAA): Available to persons who are blind or legally blind with minimal income. Old Age Assistance is also available to individuals with little or no income.
  • Food Stamps (FS): This is a federally funded program administered by the State. Emergency Food Stamps may also be available.
  • Adult Protective Services:  The Adult Protection Law requires any person who has a reason to believe that an vulnerable adult has been subjected to abuse, neglect, exploitation or self-neglect to make a report immediately to the Bureau of Elderly & Adult Services (BEAS).  Call (603) 271-7014 or toll free from within NH at (800) 949-0470
  • Department of Children & Youth (DCYF):  Child Protective staff work together with families to assess the safety of children, identify needs and develop a case plan.  This plan defines the specific needs of the children and family members and outlines the method by which a family's protective services issues will be resolved with the assistance of DCYF.  Services are primarily delivered directly to a child and family in the home and community.