Library volunteers play an important role as partners in the library’s mission of connecting people to the world of ideas and information. Library volunteer service offers a social experience and a valuable chance to help maintain library operations.
The Laconia Public Library has opportunities available for qualified and motivated individuals who would like to contribute to the community.
Are you a good fit to be a volunteer at the library? Here is a quick guide to determining if you would be a good match for our opportunities:
- Age 18 or older
- Able to work independently, with minimal direction
- Able to commit on an ongoing basis (the average is weekly, 2-4 hours per week)
Please note: we do not accept court-mandated, community service, or diversion program volunteers. We do not report to outside agencies.
Library volunteers do many and varied tasks that suit their time and talent. Their contributions to the library are immeasurable and are so appreciated by the library staff.
Both state (NH RSA 275.42-I; NH RSA 279:1X; and NH LAB 803.05 Exemption) and federal law (29 CFR 553.100-.106) state that a volunteer cannot take the place of a paid worker who is already employed by the library. It is our library’s policy not to allow any volunteer to complete a task that is in a paid staff member’s job description.
To comply with that directive, volunteers for the library can expect to be asked about the following tasks.
- Shelf-reading (a detail orientated, extremely important task) *All volunteers will be asked to complete this task
- Drop-In Tech help (must have advanced level experience with computers, phones, and other devices)
- Buffing DVDs (dependent on need)
- Saving files from the Laconia Daily Sun back issues to PDFs
- Obituary Indexing (big project – multiple people) *not immediately available
- Checking the microfilm when it comes in (every 4 months)
Please schedule a meeting with our volunteer coordinator to discuss volunteer tasks, by emailing email@example.com. Applications are available here: https://www.laconianh.gov/726/Volunteer-Information